Sunday, September 27, 2009

My Walks Behind The House

I live in Northern Canada and fall is such an inspiration to me. I thought I would document some of the eye candy I see every day when I take little Ripley for her walk.

Here we are walking behind my house-this is in my yard:

DSC00536 DSC00541

Notice how the trail goes up slightly? About 2 minutes walk up this little hill from my back door I see this:

Sept29.09 Mountains behind house

Is that fantastic or what??? I always pause at this point and just look around. I didn’t get a chance as the light was fading, but the mountains wrap around 3/4 of the way.

Although I have only seen about 5 people on the trails in over 3 years (seriously!), obviously others enjoy this area. It is on Queen’s Land, so open to all.

This bench is 6 minutes from the back door.

DSC00572  See Ripley?  :-)

DSC00574

 DSC00573

Fall is here and the leaves have changed colour or in this case, are gone.

DSC00553

About 10 minutes from my house, I reach this area. It is a small section of the Yukon River. There is also a bench here to rest, meditate or just enjoy the scenery.

DSC00576

The green trees are pine and evergreen. There are no green leaves left. In the North, you get yellow or orange leaves only. We do not have any (or few) native red leafed trees. 

 DSC00578The area at the bottom is a clay cliff. We have a lot of them in the Yukon and the land is mostly sand based. Top soil for any lawns must be brought in.

Snow on the mountains. Winter is about a month away.

DSC00599

 DSC00596

It was about 8pm when I went for this walk and it was amazing how quickly the light changed. This picture was taken about 5 minutes after the one above.

DSC00591 DSC00589

About 30 minutes into this walk, the sun was setting quickly and the sky was beautiful. I wish I could capture this in a dyed piece: 

 DSC00583

DSC00582

DSC00603

And more sky pictures!

Here comes the moon! I went home right after this picture was taken. These last pictures are about 1/2 hour from my house.

DSC00609

And this is just one of the trails I can walk right from my back yard!

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Hi popped over from dyehards. I am so envious. Your "backyard" is my dream. We lived in Juneau and Anchorage for about 4 years and I forgot how green the water is with the glacier dust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dahn, you do truly live in God's country!!
    I never tire of seeing pictures of the mountians. Do post more sometime.
    What kind of a camera did you buy.?? You were going after a digital camera just a little time ago.
    Ricky in Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very awesome such a gorgeous view thanks for taking the pictures Dahn and sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely site Mrs. Casselman Bird.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to clean the dust off my screen to see Ripley! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Mary what a nice thing to say. :-)
    And the water looks so very good, doesn't it? But I would hate to fall in. lol
    Where are you living now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ricky--thanks for the nice words! My hubby decided he needed to get me one for my b'day which is Oct 4, so I am waiting another couple of days.
    I gave him a list of requirements I wanted--hopefully he can afford it all! LOL
    Does Winnipeg have hills??? <>

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. I want to see it for real so badly!! I've never been on a vacation. My husband tries to entice me with a trip to Mexico. All I can dream of is heading to Northern Canada. We are SO lucky. Beautiful!!

    Monika Kinner-Whalen

    ReplyDelete