Thursday, August 20, 2009

Machine Embroidery

Today I spent some time reading a new book and playing with a project in it. This is one of my all time favourite textile techniques—machine embroidered landscapes.  I can honestly say I have made more landscapes this way than any other type of project. Ask my students about my love of landscapes. :-)



My favourite quilt “artist” is Alison Holt. She is up there in my list of professionals and I adore all of her books. If I lived in England I would probably camp out in her yard and clean her brushes or something so I could learn at her feet. Seriously, she is one of my hero’s. Here is a couple examples of her work:

image image

These are all done with thread and a sewing machine. Pretty neat, eh?

I was reading her new book, Machine Embroidered Woodlands (which is on sale right now!) and decided to try out a great tree project she had. This is what Goddess Holt’s looked like:



DSC00394



and here was my attempt:

DSC00395

LOL—I guess I need to practice a bit more. But it is SO MUCH FUN to make these. I have never even heard of this technique before, and was very sceptical how it could work, but its pretty awesome.. And no, there is no water soluble film used. Get the book to see the technique, I won’t give it away.  :)



Don’t know what on earth I can do with this piece, but I’m keeping it cause  its so cool..

DSC00396

3 comments:

  1. Dahn, I like it as is, but I do think you could add more branches like she has or add more ground foliage, also.
    I am continually amazed at all of the talent around us. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL--Ann, I thank you for the comment, but I'm going to leave well enough alone on this piece. Today I am playing with the technique some more, and my further endeavours look better. Practice, practice, practice...

    ¨˜”°º•Dahn•º°”˜¨ http://itjustdahnedonme.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, if I was 1/10th as good as you, I would die happy. Thanks for the note!
    And I think if I ever use this ugly/beautie I will do just that--add branches and cover with some ground foliage.

    ReplyDelete