Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Rust Dyeing

In July I decided to do some rust dyeing as the weather was nice and hot and I had a ton of rusty metal sources. I live in a country residential area and I think there was a local garbage dump near here at one point. Lots of lovely old rusty bits to steal borrow and use.



I ended up with a lot of lovely rust pieces. Here are a few:

DSC00389

Rust dyeing is easy. You wet the fabric with vinegar, drape and wrap it around rusty pieces and leave for a couple of weeks.

DSC00386

I would wet it with water one day, then a week later when I remembered, I added more vinegar. Then I left it for a couple of weeks until I got to it.

DSC00387

For a simple technique, it sure looks good. Just have to have patience..


DSC00388



Washed in syntrapol and hot water and its good to go. I absolutely love these pieces!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful rust dyeing! Love that first one expecially. When you posted that pic I thought, that looks like a rusty pipe,,lol,,expecially when I saw that cup on the top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thelma! You are just too smart. lol
    But I am doing something different now for the fractured quilt and I will NOT give you (especially you) any hints! LOL

    ReplyDelete